VENETA, Ore. – A mom has a warning for parents after her 10-year-old daughter received an explicit text message from a stranger.
Tiana Povenmire-Kirk said her daughter woke up one morning to a text message that asked if she was looking for a sex partner. After she saw the text she said she became concerned other children could also be receiving them.
The text falsely claims it was from a woman who lives down the street and it also includes a link to an inappropriate website. Povenmire-Kirk said she couldn’t believe how inappropriate the text was.
She responded to the text asking them to not contact her daughter again. After that, she called the Lane County Sheriff’s Office to file a report.
Povenmire-Kirk said she has set ground rules her kids have to follow when they use the phone and she said she talks about safety with them. She said in this case, her daughter did the right thing by showing her the message, but said this is a good reminder of just how important those conversations are.
"Well you don't think your 10-year-old is going to get a message like that,” Povenmire-Kirk said. “I think if your kids have cell phones or if they have tablets and they have the ability to text other people, interact with other people out in the world through their phone or their tablet, you have to have the conversation with them."
She said she even called the principal at her daughter's school, Veneta Elementary, to get the word out. She said the principal was also shocked by the message and sent a text alert to parents letting them know to watch out for inappropriate spam texts.
- Parents warning others after 10-year-old receives explicit text
- Local doctors warn parents about button batteries
- Eugene police meet 10-year-old officer
- International 10-year salmon preservation plan advances
- Doctors warn parents about marijuana edibles this Halloween
- Deputies seize gun from 10-year-old at Salem school
- Text to 911 rescues lost California man
- The FDA is warning parents about the dangers of laser toys
- Oregon woman says texting 911 saved her life
- Family seeking help to find missing woman after disturbing texts