EUGENE, Ore. -- Soon the Pentagon Federal Credit Union will be consolidating its branches, meaning that some employees will have to relocate to Texas or potentially lose their jobs.
PenFed said about 100 employees, primarily from the mortgage department, will be impacted. They said the branches will be consolidated into one location in San Antonio, Texas.
And while PenFed said the change will help them serve members and improve collaboration, many employees are upset at the change, which they said feels like a layoff.
According to a PenFed spokesperson, employees can relocate to Texas, apply for one of the open positions within the company or receive a severance package.
However, many said they can’t relocate due to personal or family reasons. One employee told KEZI 9 News her severance package would only be two months worth of income.
"We're real people, not just numbers,” said employee Michael Sale. “We have lives here. I can't move. I have a 3-year-old son, and I can't take him away from his other family. I have a home here. I've lived here most of my life -- 15 plus years. Relocating is not a real option, it's a cop out."
Employees also said there really aren’t that many jobs available and many of the ones that are available would require getting a pay cut.
A spokesperson with PenFed said there are over 250 jobs available in various departments.
Employee Jennifer Nichols said now that some employees have already quit, the workload for those who are still there has increased.
"It's a struggle,” Nichols said. “I was struggling to keep up before we had less processors, and now we have even less, and now we are just putting out fires at this point. It's super crazy ridiculous.”
Other employees said they feel upset and frustrated. They said the company misled them about their job security.
PedFed said the transition will happen over the next few months.
- PenFed employees upset about relocation
- Roseburg Fire Department temporarily relocating 2 stations
- Roseburg Fire Station on Harvard relocates temporarily
- Greyhound relocates to Springfield from Eugene
- Prefontaine Classic relocated to Stanford as Hayward Field work continues
- 4J school district scraps Camas Ridge relocation possibility
- Oregon upsets no. 11 ASU in Tmpe
- Eugene neighborhood upset over offensive graffiti
- OSU escapes upset, defeats Boise St.
- NCU men upset SOU at home Friday night