EUGENE, Ore. -- While many fans are thrilled about the University of Oregon women's basketball team's accomplishments, some say the players still aren't getting the respect they deserve.
So University of Oregon student Henry Ammann created a petition for Nike to make women's basketball jerseys.
"It started off with me wanting to buy a women's basketball jersey, and in The Duck Store they only sell men's basketball jerseys that recognize Bol Bol and Payton Pritchard. They don't have any jerseys that recognize any women's players," Ammann said.
After 24 hours thousands of people locally and across the nation signed it in support.
"I shouldn't have to explain to my 11-year-old daughter why she cant buy a Sabrina Ionescu jersey," one dad said.
Ammann said he's not surprised by the amount of people that have come together to try and make this happen because the fan base is there.
He said it's up to the companies to invest the money in women's sports and some said the more exposure they receive the better. Some athletes told KEZI 9 News that if Nike decides to jump on board, it'll have a ripple effect on women's sports and will help them get the recognition they deserve.
"What happens if you see a NFL player wearing a Sabrina Ionescu jersey ... you know its going to be huge. That's how things evolve. That's how things get started. It takes one person, one business, one corporation to do it," softball player Darya Kaboli-Nejad said.
KEZI tried contacting Nike numerous times to get their reaction to the petition, but we still have not heard back.
The Duck Store did say they'd be happy to stock women's basketball jerseys if they're made available.
To learn more about the petition, click here.
- Petition demands Nike make Oregon women's basketball jerseys
- Petition calls for 'Saturday Halloween'
- University of Oregon getting wrapped into NIke ad controversy
- UO unanimously approves Nike sponsorship
- Web Extra: Oregon Women's Basketball After Win Over WSU (12/29/17)
- University of Oregon Women's basketball team inspires young athletes
- Web Extra: Oregon State Women's basketball on season opener (11/9/18)
- Web Extra: Oregon State women's basketball on beating Washington (1/6/19)
- Oregon Women's Basketball team honored by city of Eugene
- Two groups petition for Eugene city auditor