LANE COUNTY, Ore. -- The Lane County Sheriff's Office is warning community members about a phone scammer that claims to be with the sheriff's office.
They said the caller indentifies themself as "Joshua Hart" and even has provided a fake badge number. They said the scammer tells people they have warrants out for their arrest for missing jury duty.
The LCSO wants community members to know that they do not make phone calls like these.
If you do get a call like this, they ask you to hang up immediately.
Below are some tips from the Lane County Sheriff's Office to help decrease your chances of becoming a phone scam victim:
· Never provide personal information to callers, including your name, address, or banking information.
· Be aware of callers who are unprofessional, pushy, or use scare tactics such as threatening arrest if payment is not made.
· Callers asking for payment through wire transfer, cash cards such as green dot cards, or other non-trackable methods are signs of a scam.
· Do check the caller’s information. If they claim to be from a law enforcement agency or other governmental agency, call the publicly listed phone number for that agency to verify the caller’s authenticity, NOT the number that they provide you.
· Don’t assume your caller ID is correct. Scammers have found ways to make your caller ID show names and numbers that they program in, not the real origin of the call.
Community members can also report fraud to the Oregon Attorney General’s Consumer Hotline by calling 1-877-877-9392.
- Phone scammer claims to be with Lane County Sheriff's Office
- Phone scammers pose as Linn County sheriff's captain
- Lane County Sheriff's Office hosts hiring event
- Lane County Sheriff's Office plans K-9 fundraiser
- Lane sheriff’s office plans saturation patrols
- Lane County Sheriff’s Office Opens Fifty Additional Jail Beds
- Lane County Sheriff’s Office adds 50 beds to jail
- Lane County Sheriff's Office deputy accused of rape.
- Lane County Sheriff's Office arrests second home invasion suspect
- Lane County Sheriff's Office searching for missing woman