Photo Gallery 29 Images
Eugene, Ore. -- Four years ago, the Oregon Women’s basketball season opener seated about 900 fans in Matthew Knight Arena. Tonight the No. 3 Oregon Ducks defeated No. 9 Oregon State, 77-68 in front of a home crowd of 12,364.
“We played in that our first year and there wasn’t that many fans either, said Oregon guard Sabrina Ionescu. "But now, it’s almost like we can’t go anywhere without people wanting pictures or autographs. So I’m just excited to have a women’s program in Eugene bring so much joy to everyone that’s coming to watch.”
The Ducks relied on a solid performance from Sabrina Ionescu and Satou Sabally. Oregon's starting five combined for 75 of the Ducks 77 points while Oregon State got 24 points from their bench players.
Despite the single digit loss, the Beavs battled for all 40 minutes. Destiny Slocum racked up 19 points and Mikayla Pivec tallied 6 points and became the 22nd Beaver to record 1,000 career points.
“I loved our effort, said Oregon State head coach Scott Rueck. "I thought knowing what this environment was going to be like tonight, knowing it’s a rivalry game, I thought we were composed and I thought we played great basketball.”
Both teams will face each other again on Monday, February 18th.
Photos courtesy of Oregon News Lab.
- Oregon beats Oregon State in Civil War 77-68
- Oregon routs Oregon State in Civil War game
- Tres Tinkle, OSU beat Oregon in Civil War game
- Oregon St. defeats Ducks, sweeps Civil War
- Web Extra: Paul White after Oregon losses the Civil War
- PHOTO GALLERY: Oregon beats Arizona State 31-29
- PHOTO GALLERY: Oregon beats Long Beach State
- PHOTO GALLERY: Oregon beats Mississippi State
- Web Extra: Dana Altman on Civil War loss to Oregon State
- Colorado beats Oregon State 36-33 for 1st conference win