EUGENE, Ore. -- Oregon State Police identified the person shot and killed in an officer-involved shooting at Cascade Middle School as Charles Frederick Landeros.
The 30-year-old was a former University of Oregon student and an activist.
KEZI 9 News interviewed Landeros in October of 2017, when they and others held a student protest that interrupted what was supposed to be President Michael Schill's annual address at the University of Oregon.
Landeros was killed during a shooting Friday morning. Eugene Police said they were called out to Cascade Middle School at around 10:30 a.m. for a custody dispute with Landeros. They began escorting Landeros back to their truck, when police said Landeros pulled out a gun and, after a struggle, was shot by police.
An eyewitness to the shooting said Landeros was shot in front of their daughter.
The Interagency Deadly Force Investigation team is reviewing what happened.
Eugene Police Chief Chris Skinner commented on the investigation Saturday. He wrote on Twitter:
There are so many details to investigate when an officer is involved in a shooting. Oregon Law under Senate Bill 111 establishes a deadly force protocol for each county. It’s important that the investigation occurs outside of the involved agency.
— Chris Skinner (@EPDChiefSkinner) January 12, 2019
One of the groups Landeros belonged is speaking out this weekend. The Civil Liberties Defense Center wrote a post on Facebook Saturday evening, saying Landeros leaves behind two daughters, a partner, younger brother, and numerous other family members and friends. Click here to see the full post.
This group defines itself as a center that supports movements that seek to dismantle political and economic structures at the root of social inequality and environmental destruction.
- Witness: Person killed by police was shot in front of daughter
- UPDATE: OSP identifies person shot & killed by police outside Cascade Middle School
- Robbery suspect jailed after reportedly firing shots at witness
- One person killed in Coos County crash
- One person killed in car crash
- One person killed in crash near Brownsville
- Motorcyclist dies in I-5 crash; police seeking witnesses
- Possible murder witness has been found by police
- A key witness in ex-cop Amber Guyger's murder trial was shot to death in Dallas
- Mother, daughter and foster child killed in Roseburg; teen arrested