PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - Portland police said officers shot and killed a man armed with a knife who suggested he had an explosive device shortly before 10 a.m. Sunday at a building in downtown's Pearl District.
Officers were called to the building in response to reports of a disturbance caused by a man holding a woman with a knife.
According to police when officers arrived, they saw a man and a woman in the stairwell of the building. The woman appeared to be injured.
The woman was taken to the hospital for treatment of her injuries.
Police said officers tried to talk with the man and used less lethal force before the shots were fired.
Police said the man died at the scene.
After investigating the Explosive Disposal Unit determined there was not an explosive at the scene.
Portland Police Homicide Detectives and the Multnomah County District Attorney's Office are investigating.
Police said no officers were injured.
- Portland police shoot man armed with knife in downtown building
- Portland police make arrest in fatal shooting
- Man critically wounded in Portland shooting
- Portland affordable housing measure may impact building
- Man killed by Portland police officer
- Police: Man threatened officers with bow and arrow, knife
- Salem police arrest man after woman kidnapped at knife point
- Man killed in Portland officer-involved shooting identified
- Eugene man dies in shooting near Portland tavern