EUGENE, Ore. -- Two women are suing the previous owner of Taylor's Bar and Grill in Eugene for $5 million, saying they were drugged and sexually assaulted.
According to the lawsuit, the two women were inside Taylor’s in January 2017 when they were secretly given drinks with "incapacitating drugs." They were then allegedly led to a different location where they were sexually assaulted. The lawsuit claims the owner at the time, John Charles Hare, had security cameras inside the bar that were pointed toward the ceiling, and there was a chaotic atmosphere inside the bar where women were not safe.
KEZI 9 News spoke to University of Oregon student Kennedy Harris, who said she wasn’t surprised when she heard what may have happened.
"I have personally talked to some people who have had some really bad experiences at Taylor’s,” Harris said. “I think that part of the problem is that it's super crowded all the time. Whenever I go, I can barely move, so a lot of stuff can happen when there's a lot of people."
Hare sold the bar in 2017. Officials with the Oregon Liquor Control Commission said Taylor's currently has a temporary liquor license and will have their hearing to renew their license in June. They said Taylor's has had more than two dozen violations in the last couple of years, including sexual assault, fighting and excessive intoxication.
KEZI reached out to Hare for comment but didn't hear back.
- Previous owner of Taylor's Bar facing $5 million lawsuit
- Taylor's Bar could lose liquor license
- Third lawsuit over killing barred owls dismissed
- Nursing home faces lawsuit after man dies
- College student suing bar for more than $3.7 million
- $2.5 million lawsuit claims Eugene surgery led to man's death
- Pot grower files $17 million lawsuit after being violently robbed
- Oregon's child welfare agency faces lawsuit over boy's abuse
- Albany mother accused of giving baby drugs now faces lawsuit
- Teens lawsuit on climate change faces big hurdle