SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- A Springfield patrol officer will not be charged for using a Taser on a jaywalker and throwing him to the ground.
Officer Ryan Stone was under investigation for the April 7 incident after an internal review indicated he may have used excessive force and then lied about the incident.
Because Stone is a Lane County police officer, the case was reviewed by a special prosecutor in Linn County.
The prosecutor, Richard Wijers, said there was insufficient evidence to prove that Stone acted with a "criminally culpable mental state."
Wijers also said the pedestrian, Austin Stewart, did not suffer a physical injury as a result of the incident.
- Prosecutor: Springfield officer won't be charged
- City prosecutor presents annual report in Springfield
- Springfield officer cleared of charges back on the job
- Springfield officers hurt in felony arrest
- Springfield police officer under criminal investigation
- Suspect in Springfield officer-involved shooting identified
- Springfield man charged with murdering infant
- Springfield man facing sex abuse charges
- Prosecutors charge parents of toddler who fatally shot self
- Springfield Christmas parade canceled