EUGENE, Ore. -- The City of Eugene is renovating its two public bathroom locations, adding a third location and opening them 24 hours five days a week, for anyone in the area who needs a restroom.
Each location will get new sanitation stations, plumbing updates and major cleaning within the next few weeks. The city will also be adding new signage to direct people to the newly-renovated bathrooms.
One of the renovated locations is inside the parking structure on 10th Avenue and Oak Street and the other is a bathroom trailer at the Park Blocks. The added location will be behind the downtown library.
In addition, each location will be heavily monitored at all times. City employees will be patrolling the areas during the day and there will be on-site security at night.
Right now, the bathrooms are on a trial run. Eric Brown, the City of Eugene's downtown manager, said if people can't respect the bathrooms, they may need to close them temporarily, permanently or restrict access.
"We're asking the community who's using these facilities to keep them clean, respect the facility we're providing them and try and keep them safe for other members of the community," said Brown.
But some people are skeptical of the bathrooms because of the homeless issue and the increased drug-use in the area.
"It is what it is," said Karen Manthy, a tourist visiting the area. "It's a decay of humanity that drugs are and unfortunately that's going to play a part in public restrooms."
The project's funding comes from the FY20 budget allocation, which gives $120,000 to improve downtown sanitation.
- Eugene opening three public bathrooms downtown
- Farmers Market opens Saturday in downtown Eugene
- Downtown Eugene survey closes soon
- New gay bar to open in downtown Eugene
- City of Eugene hosts downtown riverfront open house
- Eugene considers new downtown dog restrictions
- Train kills pedestrian in downtown Eugene
- Eugene council approves downtown dog law
- Tougher smoking ban passes for downtown Eugene
- Murals popping up around downtown Eugene