REDMOND, Ore. -- Redmond Police Officers say a vehicle was driving recklessly near the intersection of SW Pumice Avenue and SW Canal Boulevard Saturday night. This section of SW Canal Boulevard is closed, part of the reconstruction project.
Officers say the vehicle struck a telephone pole and a parked water truck at about 11:10 p.m. Additionally, police say the car was operating dangerously close to a group of juvenile pedestrians that were also in the area.
Officers walked into the area on foot as access to the road is barricaded and tried to talk to the driver, who immediately sped off. The vehicle, a 2006 Dodge pickup truck was found a few minutes later crashed into the COID canal near the intersection of SW Reindeer Ave and SW Canal Blvd.
Officers say the driver was still trying to drive despite the vehicle being partially submerged in the water. Redmond Fire & Rescue personnel responded to the scene and conducted a water rescue to remove the driver safely.
The driver was identified as Anthony Castaneda, 34, of Redmond.
Castaneda was evaluated by medics on scene and was then taken into custody by Redmond Officers. Castaneda was lodged at the Deschutes County Jail on charges of DUII-Alcohol, Recklessly Endangering Another Person, Reckless Driving, and Criminal Mischief.
- Redmond DUII driver crashes into canal
- Taxi driver arrested for DUII
- Driver crashes into ARCO sign, police investigating as DUII
- Redmond police officers make special delivery!
- Redmond sues after company cuts Christmas tree
- Truck smashes into house, driver suspected of DUII
- Driver accused of hit-and-run and DUII in Eugene
- Bend, Redmond seek to join state housing program
- Cut cable cancels flights, causes delays at Redmond airport
- Redmond man awaiting trial on sex abuse charges disappears