JOHN DAY, Ore. – Human remains found in a burned-out house in eastern Oregon have been identified as belonging to a missing man with ties to Springfield, according to authorities.
Grant County Sheriff Glenn Palmer said investigators found the remains of Terry Smith in his home between John Day and Mount Vernon.
Palmer said Smith’s wife, Sharon, is still missing, and experts could not match her to another set of remains found in the home.
Meanwhile, the couple’s pickup truck, which was reported missing at the time of the fire in July, was found last weekend in Boise, Idaho.
Palmer said he’s treating the case as a homicide and he’s working with a police department in Hawaii along with the FBI and other agencies.
Both Terry and Sharon Smith graduated from Thurston High School in Springfield.
- Remains in burned home identified as former Springfield man
- Springfield murder case remains unsolved
- UPDATE: Rider identified in Springfield motorcycle crash
- Suspect in Springfield officer-involved shooting identified
- Remains identified as missing Oregon woman
- Human remains found near Sunriver identified
- Fire rips through Springfield home
- Springfield home destroyed by fire
- Fire damages three Springfield homes
- Fire burns through Walton home