Eugene, Ore. -- Oregon's search for a new head baseball coach has come to an end, said multiple outlets on Tuesday afternoon. Purdue head coach, Mark Wasikowski, a former assistant at the University of Oregon, is returning to PK Park in the head role, as first reported by Kendall Rogers of D1Baseball.com. Shortly after the initial reports began circulating, Oregon athletics released a statement, confirming Wasikowski as the new head coach.
“We are excited to add a high-energy and experienced coach in Mark to lead our baseball program,” Oregon Athletic Director Rob Mullens said. “He has an outstanding work ethic and a track record as an excellent recruiter, and we expect to compete for championships under his leadership. Mark has a wide breadth of experience in both the Pac-12 and beyond, and we are confident that the success on the horizon as well as his high level of engagement will provide a first-class experience for our baseball student-athletes.”
Wasikowski turned around a beleaguered Purdue Boilermaker program, taking a program that won just 10 games the year before his arrival to a 29 win season, the largest improvement in NCAA Division I baseball in 2017. In just his second year, he led his team to a 38 win season, the runner up in the Big 10 regualar season and Tournament, and an NCAA Regional berth.
Following that season, three Boilermakers were selected inthe first 11 rounds of the MLB Draft, only the second time in program history that three Purdue players were selected in the first three rounds.
Wasikowski was also an assistant under three-time national Coach of the Year Andy Lopez, both at Florida and Arizona. In the summer of 2011, Wasikowski joined George Horton's staff at Oregon, being on staff for the best four year stretch of Duck baseball since the program's re-introduction. Horton said of Wasikowski when the latter joined Purdue, "I believe [he] is one of the brightest, up-and-coming baseball coaches in the country."
- Oregon announces Mark Wasikowski as new baseball coach
- KEZI Sports Extra Podcast: Oregon baseball coach Mark Wasikowski
- Ducks introduce Wasikowski as new baseball coach
- Duck baseball players ready for Wasikowski Era
- Wasikowski hires first member of his staff
- Baseball Roundup: Oregon State and Oregon baseball both earn victories
- OSU hires Canham as baseball coach
- Brown announces Oregon environmental legislation
- Jonathan Smith announces additional coaching hires
- Oregon names Donte Williams next OLB coach