COOS BAY, Ore. – A man held two burglars at gunpoint in his garage in Coos Bay.
Coos County deputies responded to Terramar Road at about 4:30 p.m. on Saturday after a woman reported that she and her husband found two men in their detached garage.
The suspects have been identified as Philip Nerpel, 36, and Jordan Duval, 27.
Deputies said the caller’s husband told them he found the men inside his garage and ordered them to get out of the garage and sit down. He said the men complied.
Nerpel reportedly admitted to trying to break into the home on the property and failing due to a locked deadbolt. Deputies said Nerpel admitted to kicking in the door of the garage and stealing a knife from inside. He said he was looking in the garage for items to take but struggled because he did not have a flashlight.
A pistol was found inside the garage that Duval admitted was his, deputies said. Duval was found to have a controlled substance, they added.
Both suspects were taken to the Coos County Jail and charged with first-degree attempted burglary, second degree burglary, unlawful use of a weapon, criminal mischief and conspiracy. Duval may also be charged with possession of a controlled substance.
- Resident holds burglars at gunpoint in Coos Bay
- Coos Bay man charged with murder
- Coos Bay deputies arrest bank robbery suspect
- Coos Bay couple killed in house fire
- Fire destroyed house in Coos Bay Sunday
- Man escapes house fire in Coos Bay
- Coos Bay man dies in logging accident
- McAuley Hospital in Coos Bay demolished
- Police fatally shoot Coos Bay man
- Coos Bay police investigating chainsaw theft