ROSEBURG, Ore. -- Coaches for the Roseburg Doc’s amateur baseball team had to abruptly stop their three-day Fourth of July tournament over the weekend after players from other teams tested positive for COVID-19.
The tournament was supposed to run Friday through Sunday. However, it ended on Saturday.
Coaches told KEZI 9 News that a team had pulled out before the tournament began Friday after they learned two of their players tested positive.
On Friday night, coaches said a player on a team from Newberg also tested positive. They said the team immediately pulled out of the tournament and went home.
However, Doc's head coach Jeremiah Robbins said they stopped the tournament for the safety of the players.
“It was a hard decision to make because you know the kids wanna play,” said Robbins. “But out of safety concerns it was the right decision to make.”
The superintendent of the Newberg School District said in a statement that eight people associated with their team tested positive after they returned from Roseburg.
However, Robbins said those people did not contract the virus at the tournament.
“That came from another tournament that they were at earlier in the year,” said Robbins. “Some players participated in that then came back to the Newberg team.”
Robbins said none of the players on the Roseburg Doc’s have tested positive for COVID-19 nor are they showing symptoms.
“We’re proactive on this thing,” said Robbins. “We’re staying ahead of it as much as possible -- if could ever say that about coronavirus.”
Right now, the rest of the Doc’s season has been put on hold. Robbins said they will not be hosting anymore tournaments for the rest of the season.
However, he said they are already looking for alternative ways to get the players back on the field in a safe way.
“People wanna play, people wanna get outside,” said Robbins. “We can’t stay cooped up in our homes, but we gotta do this safely.”