ROSEBURG, Ore. – A fire that severely damaged a home in Roseburg on Tuesday may have been caused by a discarded cigarette, the Roseburg Fire Department said.
Crews responded to a fire in the 1000 block of NE Rifle Range Street at about 11:15 p.m. Reports indicated all the residents had gotten out safely.
The Roseburg Fire Department shared the following safety tips:
- Always discard smoldering and spent cigarettes properly. Select ashtrays that reduce the chances of a burning cigarette falling onto carpeting and upholstery.
- Check wastebaskets and cushions in rooms where people have been smoking. Look for cigarette embers that are still burning.
- Smoking and drinking can be as deadly as drinking and driving. If you host a party and allow smoking, check under chair and sofa cushions before going to bed. Get in the habit of watching out for unattended, but smoldering cigarettes.
- Never smoke in bed or anywhere when drowsy. Cigarettes can smolder longer than most bedding materials and upholstery can resist igniting.
- Keep matches and lighters, especially novelty lighters, out of the reach of children. Even a toddler can operate a lighter. Child resistant lighters are not childproof.
Safety tips are courtesy of the Oregon Life Safety Team.
Upon arriving, firefighters found a porch engulfed by flames that were spreading to the attached single-story home.
The fire was put out, but the home sustained significant structural and water damage.
Two residents were displaced, but no one was injured. The American Red Cross is assisting.
Fire officials said the cause of the fire remains under investigation.
Sixteen firefighters were at the scene, and fire officials said numerous agencies assisted, including Douglas County Fire District #2, Umpqua Valley Ambulance, Avista Utilities, Roseburg police and Pacific Power.