ROSEBURG, Ore. -- Roseburg residents on Monday reacted to a deadly shooting on Interstate 5 that left one man dead.
KEZI spoke with two Roseburg residents who live near exit 123 and witnessed police surrounding 53-year-old Edward Lanier's car.
One of those residents, Jason Green, said he initially thought the person driving the car may have had some sort of medical episode. However, Green soon found out that wasn't the case.
"I'd say probably five to seven officers with assault rifles rolled up, and that was when I realized it was probably not somebody having a heart attack," Green said. "It was probably something more serious, and it was a pretty scary feeling."
Xander Coultas also saw officers surrounding Lanier's vehicle and immediately knew something was wrong.
"It wasn't just a normal response," Coultas said. "They were on edge, and there was like people running across the road trying to rush to the vehicle."
When Green found out what happened, he was baffled by people's recklessness and willingness to put so many other lives in danger.
"This just, again, just seems reckless," Green said. "There was just disregard for the children, families, cars, trucks -- just anything. Just complete disregard."
Now Green says he just wants to find out exactly what lead to Lanier's death.
"Is it something between the two or three individuals I read about or is it just a case of road rage?" Green said. "Or is it something that just instantly set somebody off? Or was it more direct? I would like to know."
This incident is still under investigation. If you have any information about the person that may have ended up firing shots that killed Lanier, you are asked to call Oregon State Police.
- Roseburg residents witness, react to I-5 shooting
- Roseburg police investigate shooting
- Motorcyclist dies in I-5 crash; police seeking witnesses
- Neighbors react to 2-week standoff in Roseburg
- Bethel residents react to homeless facility
- Eugene residents react to life expectancy report
- Roseburg shooting suspect arrested after K-9 search
- Roseburg residents asked for input on historic district development
- Roseburg VA director resigns
- Victim named in deadly I-5 shooting; search continues for gunman