ROSEBURG, Ore. -- KEZI 9 News has confirmed that Roseburg Superintendent Gerry Washburn has been placed on administrative leave and will be fired.
During an executive school board session, board members reviewed Washburn’s performance over his time as superintendent.
His contract is supposed to run through June of 2019.
After Washburn’s evaluation, board members motioned to place him on leave during their regular school board meeting.
The motion passed with a four to three vote.
Interim Superintendent Robert Freeman said the board then told the district’s legal counsel to take action.
“The board then directed district counsel to enter into negotiations with Dr. Washburn, to negotiate a separation agreement,” Freeman said.
Washburn was hired out of Los Alamos School District in New Mexico, where he became assistant superintendent in 2013.
Before that, he was director of human resources in the district for a year, and an elementary school principal for three years.
The Roseburg School Board appointed Human Resources Director Robert Freeman as a temporary Interim Superintendent after placing Washburn on administrative leave.
Freeman has been in education for 32 years, the majority of that in the Sutherlin school district.
While he’s the interim director, he plans to keep the school district focused on what’s best for the students.
“The direction I would like to see the district continue moving is ensuring that we provide a quality education for all of our students, and that students experience the best academic and social opportunities that are available to them,” Freeman said.
The school district wouldn’t elaborate on their reason for placing Washburn on paid administrative leave at this time.
Freeman will serve as interim superintendent until a permanent interim can be selected.
We reached out to Washburn, but he said he can’t comment on the situation at this time.
No reason has been given for the move.
- Roseburg superintendent put on leave, expected to be fired
- Former Roseburg superintendent to get $150,000 after his firing
- Springfield School District superintendent leaving
- Firefighters put out grass fire on Reservoir Hill in Roseburg
- Crews put out brush fire near homeless camp in Roseburg
- House fire in Roseburg leaves $80,000 in damages
- Roseburg School District selects finalists in superintendent search
- Springfield police lieutenant put on leave
- Woman injured in Roseburg shooting expected to recover
- Albany school superintendent under investigation, placed on leave