ROSEBURG, Ore. -- A teen was detained after Roseburg Police say he reported a false school shooting threat on social media.
Police said they learned of a potential threat made over social media targeting Joseph Lane Middle School on Tuesday.
A police investigation found the threat not to be viable.
On Wednesday Roseburg Police along with the Roseburg School District continued the investigation and that is when they say they learned the false threat was reported by a 13-year-old male student at Joseph Lane Middle School.
Roseburg Police said the false threat was reported on the 13-year-old’s snapchat account and it indicted that a student was going to “shoot up” the school on Jan. 29.
The teen told police the report was false, and that he tried to delete it, but it had already been sent and copied by students and other people.
Roseburg Police charged the 13-year-old with disorderly conduct in the first degree and lodged him at the Douglas County Juvenile Detention Center.
Roseburg Public Schools Superintendent Jared Cordon provided a statement on the report of the false threat:
"The safety of our students and staff is the top priority of the Roseburg School District, and any potential or reported threat will be promptly and thoroughly investigated. We are grateful for our strong relationship with the Roseburg Police Department and for their assistance with this incident.
“It is vital that anyone with knowledge of a threat to student safety immediately report the information to school officials and law enforcement. It is also important to remember that false information can spread quickly on social media, and that spreading false reports can lead to criminal prosecution. We are grateful for our community’s support in helping keep our children safe and ensuring that our schools are safe and welcoming places of learning.”
- Roseburg police say teen reported false school threat
- School threat made towards Roseburg middle school, police investigating
- School threat at Jo Lane in Roseburg was false, authorities say
- Roseburg middle school student arrested for school threat
- Roseburg police investigate shooting
- Roseburg High School student arrested after threat found
- 14-year-old faces charges in Roseburg school threat case
- Sweet Home police arrest teen in connection with school threat
- North Bend police respond to report of school threat
- Eugene police respond to false report of standoff