ROSEBURG, OR. -- Roseburg could be the latest in a list of cities to allow the ridesharing companies Uber and Lyft to operate in their city.
Now that nearby cities are allowing them operate, ride sharing companies like Uber and Lyft have caught the attention of Roseburg city officials.
Roseburg has already had some issues with Uber -- there were some drivers who started operating in the area after Medford passed their ordinance.
City council has been discussing bringing ride sharing services to the area for some time, but needed to figure out how to allow these companies to operate without changing too much of their "Transportation Network Company" ordinance.
So, City Recorder Sheila Cox put together a packet of nearby ordinances to help them out.
“The one that was most recently adopted was Medford. I also gave them one from Redford – Redmond, because it’s a little bit different. I also gave them Portland’s, because that is quite extensive. Much more-so that what our type of ordinance would be,” said Cox.
That packet of information will help councilors make decisions about how they will want their ordinance to look, and what areas Uber and Lyft could be willing to work with them on.
One of the issues the city thinks they’ll be able to work with Uber and Lyft on is insurance for the drivers, which involves coverage before, during, and after picking up passengers.
But, where they’ll have their differences, much like in Eugene, is with the extent of Uber’s background checks.
Cox said, “[It] Only goes back seven years. And ours is if you’ve ever been convicted of a felony, we don’t approve it. Unless there are some really special circumstances and it’s been a long, long time.”
- Roseburg to consider allowing Uber, Lyft to operate
- OSU students enjoying convenience of Uber, Lyft
- Eugene opens door to Uber and Lyft
- Mayor hopes Uber and Lyft will be Eugene by summer
- Eugene city officials: Uber and Lyft expected to return
- Rideshare users have mixed feelings about Uber, Lyft
- Roseburg VA director resigns
- Roseburg police investigate shooting
- Homicide investigation underway in Roseburg
- Roseburg plans road construction projects