EUGENE, Ore. - With the Eugene Marathon being a mere night away, hopefully, you’ve done all the training you need to do. However, KEZI talked to runners with the Marathon about some tips and tricks they have for right before and after the race.
For the day before a race, runners recommended getting as much rest as you can. They said listen to your body and try to take it easy—but not too easy. They also recommended maybe going for a quick jog during the day to keep your legs active. They said to stick to whatever nutrition plan you’ve been following during your training and drink plenty of water.
"Feel nervous today, and then let it go tomorrow. Because you've done all the hard work of preparing, tomorrow is just time to have fun,” said Avery Beuerman, a volunteer, and participant.
For the morning of, runners said to try and get up a little bit earlier than you think you need to. Try to give yourself time to get in the right mindset and relax. Some runners said they like to get to the course a little bit early, and even stroll through it to get better acquainted. They said this helps relieve any stress of unexpected things on the course. Lastly, they said to make sure you warm up at your own pace and listen to your body. Make sure you’re hydrated and ready to go.
Directly after the race, runners said it is time to celebrate! Again, they said to listen to your body. Get a massage, rest, have a good time. Do whatever your body is telling you to do. Some recommended foods and drinks should be high in carbohydrates and electrolytes.
Runners said as long as you’ve done the training, your body can handle this. So every preparation step you take should be about getting your mind in the right state.
"You know your body is ready. If you've trained then your body is ready, and your mind is the only thing that will try to stop you," Beuerman said. "So your body will do it, and you just have to get your head and your mind in the right spot."
- Runners provide last minute tips for the Eugene Marathon
- Marathon Monday: Eugene Marathon Needs Volunteers
- Marathon Monday: Eugene Has Heart
- Thousands participate in Eugene Marathon
- Eugene Police preparing for Eugene Marathon
- Eugene Marathon: Elite runners should check on the allergy medicine they use
- Marathon Monday: The Eugene Marathon Goes Green For the Gold
- Eugene Marathon grants it's sixth wish
- Businesses prepare for the Eugene Marathon
- Marathon Monday: Countdown to Marathon Weekend