EUGENE, Ore. -- Even though Eugene School District 4J students didn't have school on Wednesday due to the teacher walkout, they were still able to eat breakfast and lunch for free.
School board members, administrators and staff helped serve free meals for students under the age of 18. César Chávez Elementary School was one of eight locations where students could get their meals:
- North Eugene High School, 200 Silver Lane
- Madison Middle School, 875 Wilkes Drive
- Churchill High School, 1850 Bailey Hill Road
- César Chávez Elementary School, 1510 W. 14th Ave.
- South Eugene High School, 400 E. 19th Ave.
- Spencer Butte Middle School, 500 E. 43rd Ave.
- Sheldon High School, 2455 Willakenzie Road
- Cal Young Middle School, 2555 Gilham Road
Bagels, sandwiches and fruit were just some of the many food items being offered.
Anne Marie Levis with 4J said more than 55 percent of their elementary students qualify for free and reduced lunch. She said their poorest school has more than 70 percent on their free lunch program.