UPDATE: Police say a 17-year-old who is the suspect in the shooting on Bailey Lane Tuesday morning was taken into custody Tuesday evening.
SWAT teams and a bomb squad were called to a home near 14th Avenue and High Street Tuesday afternoon after receiving information that the suspect was in the home.
Police said he likely slipped out before officers arrived, but they were able to take him into custody at a separate location.
Police have not released his name.
EUGENE, Ore. -- Eugene police say they are looking for a suspect after a man was shot near Monroe Middle School on Tuesday morning.
Police responded to a report of shots fired in the 2900 block of Bailey Lane around 10 a.m., and several nearby schools were put on lockdown and lockout as a precaution. All on-duty EPD School Resource Officers self-deployed to Monroe Middle School.
Neighbor Shari Driggars said she “heard maybe seven shots.”
Lt. Jennifer Bills with the Eugene Police Department said it’s likely the suspect and victim knew each other. No students were involved.
Bills said the suspect is a man driving a small white sedan. The make and model is not known at this time.
Police and a bystander provided immediate aid to the victim, who was taken by Eugene Springfield Fire EMS to a local hospital with a gunshot wound. There is no update on the person's condition.
Bailey Lane was closed for most of the day as police investigate three crime scenes within 100 yards of each other near Monroe.
Parent Shawn Butler said when he drove by the school and saw the law enforcement vehicles nearby, he feared the worst.
"My heart dropped," Butler said. "I see all the fear and the tragedies on the news, and that was my first thing -- there was a shooting at my kids' school."
If you have any information about the incident or suspect, officials ask that you contact the Eugene Police Department.
- Eugene police seek suspect in shooting that put Monroe Middle School on lockdown
- Parents reunited with kids after lockdown at Monroe Middle School
- Police chase in south Eugene forces two schools on lockdown
- Monroe Middle School students get inclusive for unity assembly
- EXCLUSIVE: Man saves teen shot near Monroe Middle School
- Monroe Middle School screens 'Celling Your Soul' documentary
- Police release sketch of Monroe burglary suspect
- Police seek suspect trying to enter Eugene woman's apartment
- Teen charged in shooting near Monroe Middle School pleads not guilty
- Eugene police arrest assault suspect