EUGENE, Ore. -- A longtime printing business in Eugene is closing its doors after more than 90 years, leaving 27 people without a job, according to Interim President John Boytz.
Boytz said the other 14 employees at Shelton Turnbull have been given job offers to work for Morel Ink, a printing company from Portland that's planning on opening a new location in our area soon.
Morel Ink spokesman Scott Ballo said the decision comes after months of trying to buy Shelton Turnbull but failing to reach a deal.
Boytz told KEZI 9 News the business closing after all these years comes down to not having enough money. He said expenses continued to add up, and they were unable to stay afloat. The company ended up selling the building for less money than it was initially worth, he added.
Jerry Thenell, a previous owner, worked at the company for 42 years. Thenell said it's not about the expenses piling up: it's about who took over since he retired.
“I sold it, and they took over. All three of them did not do their job well. That’s what started the downfall of the company,” Thenell said.
Thenell said he is sad to hear the news of the company closing but not surprised.
Employee Angel Burch said the workers have had a feeling the company was going to go under for the past year.
“We used to be amazingly busy all the time, and as computers came in, it just changed everything. So as that happened you just have to change with the times, and sometimes we did and sometimes we didn’t,” Burch said.
Boytz says they will have the Shelton Turbull building and all the employees cleared out by the end of the month.
- Shelton Turnbull closes after more than 90 years in Eugene
- Downtown Eugene survey closes soon
- Popular Eugene bagel shop closing after 40 years
- Fire forces Eugene barbecue restaurant to close
- Home Instead Senior Care closes in Eugene
- Eugene’s HiFi Music Hall temporarily closing
- Café Yumm! in Eugene closed after fire
- Oregon bottle redemption rate reaches 90 percent
- Eugene Saturday Market kicks off 50th year
- Eugene Christian School is closed today after a small fire.