SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- The Springfield City Council held a public hearing today regarding a proposal to rezone the Patrician mobile home park for multi-use.
The public hearing went on for almost two hours and most of the comments were against the rezoning. However, the city council is leaving the public hearing open, which means they did not make a decision tonight.
"Please don’t make more homeless people,” one resident said.
The city council chambers were packed with Patrician residents, many begging not to rezone the mobile home park for multi-use. Residents claimed they did not even know about the plans to rezone when they bought their home.
"So I hope you guys have a heart and can really look at this and have to live with yourself everyday and when you go to bed at night and say, 'Hey, I’m going to do the right thing and I’m going to protect these people,'" another resident added.
A representative from the landowner of the Patrician argued that their proposal will lead to more economic development and fits in with Springfield’s 2030 plan. The representative also said that if the city rejects the proposal, there is still a possibility the owner will redevelop another way.
But former state representative Bill Dwyer reminded the city council why they were elected.
"These people are the heart and soul of the community; they rely on you," Dwyer said. "You’re their elected officials; you're their last resort."
The next city council meeting where people can make a comment about this rezoning proposal will be Sept. 16 at 7 p.m.
- Springfield postpones decision on Patrician mobile home park
- Commission votes against rezoning Patrician mobile home park in Springfield
- Springfield City Council delays Patrician rezoning decision
- Council votes in favor of rezoning Patrician mobile home park in Springfield
- Springfield to weigh public input in Patrician rezoning decision
- Fire starts near dryer in Springfield mobile home park
- Fire damages mobile home in Springfield
- Springfield City Council will wait to decide the future of the Patrician
- Cause of Springfield mobile home fire is "undetermined"
- Fire crews put out Springfield mobile home fire