Photo Gallery 3 Images
SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- School projects are underway for the summer at Springfield Public Schools. When fall approaches, nearly 20 schools will be seeing changes both internally and externally.
Both Agnes Stewart Middle School and Mt. Vernon Elementary are seeing external changes with some re-siding, so students, parents, and teachers should expect a little bit of a different look when coming back for the school year.
Another school seeing a pretty significant project is Yolanda Elementary. If you’ve ever been inside some of the classrooms, you know that some of the walls inside are not real walls at all, but fabric-based accordion walls. The district has taken those out and is in the process of replacing them with real walls to create more privacy and an educational environment that’s easier to focus in.
The concession section at Thurston High School will also be getting a makeover, but few details are available on that project yet.
District officials said it’s so important to take advantage of summertime to keep schools safe and in the best shape possible.
"Boy, this is that window of opportunity when we get to get in there with our awesome facilities group and just get things cleaned up, fixes, work orders, capital improvements, and just get things fixed up,” said Nathan Parker with Springfield Public Schools
Contractors also said they love working with these kinds of projects, because they love seeing the difference it makes.
"It's fun to see the kids' reaction,” said Jeff Emmett with John Hyland Construction. “It's always fun to see the kids walking through a new building or being able to come through and see all the changes."
Here’s a full list of Springfield Public Schools’ summer projects:
• Walterville: Kitchen Replace last section of SS counter
• Briggs: Courtyard Beam Replacement
• TMS: Reroof Portables
• Centennial: Sinks/Countertop Replacement
• Guy Lee: Sinks/Countertop Replacement
• THS: Rekey
• Ridgeview: Rekey
• Center: Rekey
• Guy Lee: Dishwasher Install
• Guy Lee: Paint Entrance
• Douglas Gardens: Playground Drainage
• Yolanda: Playground Drainage
• ASMS: Cafeteria / Gym Relight
• SHS: Auto Shop Heating Install
• Yolanda: Accordion Wall Demo
• Page & Hamlin: Concrete Work
• All Sites: Fire Alarm Testing
• THS: Computer Lab
• ASMS: Re-siding
• Mt. Vernon: Residing
• Yolanda: Wall Infill
- Springfield Public Schools takes on nearly 20 summer projects
- Springfield Public Schools takes step to keep students safer
- Springfield Public Schools starts recruiting teachers
- Springfield Public Schools sued over alleged A3 sexual abuse
- Springfield votes on expanding the Glenwood project
- Crews prepare for summer road construction projects
- Springfield school shooter loses appeal
- Springfield School District superintendent leaving
- Springfield mayor highlights projects to be finished this year
- Springfield garden project combating excessive heat's impact on crops