SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- The Springfield School District is looking for a new superintendent after Susan Reike-Smith accepted a position in another district.
Rieke-Smith announced she accepted the superintendent position for the Tigard-Tualatin school district back in April. She’s been the superintendent for the Springfield School District since November 2015.
As superintendent, she focused on establishing curriculum that was up to state standards. She also added skilled-to-work courses to give students more options after graduation besides enrolling in a four-year college. Another priority under her tenure was improving graduation rates. She's most proud of the 2016-17 school year graduation rate which was nearly 70 percent. She said that is the highest rate they have had in the last 10 years.
Rieke-Smith said leaving the district is bittersweet and she appreciates all those she has worked with over the years.
"I want to say thank you for the opportunity to serve you for the last four years,” Rieke-Smith said. “This is an amazing community in the sense that they don't talk about things -- they just get things done. It's been said repeatedly, and I have shared this mantra, that Springfield is the small community that gets big things done because of that."
Her resignation will be effective June 30.
District officials said Bruce Smolnisky will be the interim superintendent for the 2018-19 school year. Smolnisky has been working with the district for more than 20 years. He's served in various leadership roles, including interim director of human resources and a long-time principal and special-education teacher.
District officials said this is going to be an ongoing process. They plan on posting the job in the winter and hope to hire a new superintendent next spring.
- Springfield School District superintendent leaving
- Springfield school district provides counseling to students
- Springfield school director placed on leave
- Cahoots could be leaving Springfield
- Albany school superintendent under investigation, placed on leave
- Springfield district to revoke A3 charter
- Fire in Springfield leaves one man homeless
- Springfield school shooter loses appeal
- Roseburg superintendent put on leave, expected to be fired
- Victim in A3 sex abuse case intends to sue Springfield School District