SPRINGFIELD, Ore. – The man who was shot by Springfield Police last month was taken into custody again after a five-hour standoff Tuesday afternoon.
Springfield Police said they were made aware of a wanted man at a home near the 400 block of Broadway Street before noon.
During the initial contact with detectives, 38-year-old Alexander Phillip Konnoff was ranting and said that he wanted to "kill cops."
After nearly five hours of attempted negotiations, the Springfield SWAT team and Crisis Negotiators were dispatched to the scene.
Just before 7 p.m., Mr. Konnoff agreed to exit the residence and was taken into custody without incident.
According to court documents, Konnoff is the same man who was shot by Springfield Police on May 30. The documents show police were called to the same house for a disturbance. When officers arrived, Konnoff allegedly had a knife and sprayed pepper spray police. Officers responded by firing one shot at Konoff, hitting him in the elbow. He was taken into custody shortly after.
It's still unclear why Konnoff was released from custody, but Tuesday evening he was lodged at the Lane County Jail on warrants for Attempted Assault 1, Disorderly Conduct 2, Resisting Arrest, Unlawful Use of an Electrical Stun Gun/Tear Gas or Mace 1, Assaulting a Public Safety Officer and Unlawful Use of a Weapon.
Chief Andrew Shearer advised, "through de-escalation efforts, strategic communication, and patience the SPD team brought this incident to a safe closure for everyone."