CROW, Ore. -- A dryer fire at Crow-Applegate Elementary was put out by quick-thinking staff Tuesday evening.
The Lane Fire Authority was called to the school around 5 p.m. but when they arrived, they found the fire had already been put out by a teacher and a maintenance worker. Officials said the two used a nearby fire-extinguisher to extinguish the blaze.
Superintendent Malcom McRae said he is grateful the two were in the building at the time.
"It's pretty remarkable actually," McRae said. "We got kudos from the Lane Fire Authority for their quick thinking and decisive action to minimize the damage."
Firefighters helped clear smoke out of the school. McRae said the school will resume as normal Wednesday but the smell may linger.
"Parents who might have concerns about kids with asthma conditions or sensitive to irritants like smoke," McRae said. "We would leave that to their discretion on whether their kids come to school tomorrow."
- Staff members put out fire at elementary school
- Churchill staff members kneel for National Anthem
- Wasikowski hires first member of his staff
- 4 Marjory Stoneman Douglas staff members reassigned over shooting response
- Red Cross deploys Eugene staff member to California wildfires
- 4J School District hosts annual elementary showcase
- Danebo Elementary celebrates graduating high school seniors
- The racist online abuse of Meghan Markle has put royal staff on high alert
- Springfield School Board discusses appointing new member
- Corvallis School Board member officially resigns