STAYTON, Ore. -- A Stayton man is in jail Monday, accused of murdering his father at their house near Stayton Saturday night.
Joshua Nelson, 22, has been charged with aggravated murder in the death of Timothy Nelson, 50.
After a caller reported an assault at about 9:50 p.m., deputies responded to the 41600 block of Stayton Scio Road and said they saw a man run into the home and another man lying in the driveway. The suspect’s grandfather, Robert Nelson, 74, told authorities the man who ran into the home was his grandson, Joshua, and his son Timothy was the one on the ground.
Timothy Nelson died as a result of homicidal violence, deputies said. They said they attempted to reach out to Joshua, who did not respond, and the Linn County Regional SWAT Team was called in to help.
After about six hours, Joshua surrendered and was arrested.
Those who knew Timothy said he will be remembered as kind, caring and good to everyone he knew.
"I have never seen Tim ever unhappy -- always a smile on his face," said Pat Sekiya, longtime Stayton resident.
If you saw or had contact with Timothy or Joshua Nelson on March 16, call detectives at 541-967-3950.
This is an ongoing investigation. Stay with KEZI for updates.
- Stayton man arrested in father’s murder after standoff
- Child killed in fatal fire in Stayton
- Roseburg man arrested after standoff
- Stayton mother and boyfriend charged with child abuse
- Police arrest Springfield man after armed standoff
- Roseburg man arrested after armed standoff
- Standoff suspect arrested by SWAT
- Florence man arrested for murder
- Father, son arrested after fight
- Oregon man accused of murder in beating of elderly father