SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- Last week's historic winter storm impacted thousands of people across our area, including the Egan Warming Center in Springfield.
As we first reported back in November, the Egan Warming Center worked with the Springfield School District to move into their old administration building.
But, that recent round of severe winter weather may have made it so that no one will ever be able to be in that building ever again.
Springfield School District officials said after the roof collapse at the Thurston High School gymnasium, they had structural engineers check all of the buildings in the district to make sure they were safe.
As it turns out, not all of them were.
"Because of the snow load on the roof, there's been some structural damage," said Pete Kerns, Chief of Staff for St. Vincent de Paul of Lane County. "So, it's not safe for use."
Kerns said they got that news towards the end of last week, but the school district and the city were able to find another place for the Egan Warming Center to go for the time being.
"Ultimately, Pastor Lutz at Seventh-day Adventist Church, he and his congregation have allowed us to set up there, so they've been our host since the snowstorm," Kerns said.
Even though they won't be at the old administration building anymore, Kerns said he and his staff are grateful that the school district was willing to help them help others, especially during last week's winter storm.
"I think the last time we activated in there, we had about 100 guests -- a little bit more than 100 guests with us," Kerns said. "100 and some people that would've been stuck out in the weather if it hadn't been for that site."
Kerns said this move to the Seventh-day Adventist Church isn't a permanent one, and they are looking for a more permanent location.
But they're also looking for somewhere to help share hosting responsibilities during their active seasons.
- Structural damage forces Egan Warming Center to move from Springfield site
- Egan Warming Center in desperate need of sites in Springfield
- Egan Warming Center finds new Springfield location
- Egan Warming Center announces Springfield location
- Egan Warming Center calls for more volunteers
- Another cold snap triggers Egan Warming Center
- Egan Warming Center director steps down
- Egan Warming Center to activate its centers Monday night
- Remembering Major Thomas Egan
- St. Vincent de Paul searches for new Springfield warming center site