EUGENE, Ore. -- Students inside Cascade Middle School said they were hiding beneath desks in a library computer lab when a man was shot during a custody dispute outside the school Friday morning.
The shooting was reported at about 10:45 a.m. at the school on Echo Hollow Road in Eugene.
According to Josiah, a 6th-grade student at the school, several students told him they heard gunshots before the school was placed on lockdown.
Eugene police responded to a report of a custody dispute at the school shortly before 10:30 a.m. As officers were escorting the man from the school, he allegedly produced a firearm, a struggle ensued, and the man was shot and killed by police.
The shooting occurred outside the school building, and no students, staff, or officers were injured.
The student told KEZI's Bryan Anderson that he was a little shaken up by the incident.
"I was getting out of second period and I was sitting on a bench and I got up to go to my locker to put my binder away to go to third period when I [heard] the announcement … and I ran to the library and went under the computer lab desks," he said. "I was kind of scared because some of the people that were with me also underneath the desk were talking about they actually did hear gunshots and were down where it all started.
"I wasn't thinking you know, about getting shot. I was just … thinking about my family and … that stuff because my tablet was in my locker and I couldn't text anyone and that kind of scared me a little.
"I was relieved because when I pulled up my messages there were a couple texts from my mom and she was asking if I was OK," Josiah said. "I'm feeling good safe since I'm finally out of school."
- Students hid beneath computer lab desks during shooting at Cascade Middle School
- DA: Officer-involved shooting at Cascade Middle School was justified
- Students return to Cascade Middle School after fatal officer-involved shooting
- No one ate alone at Cascade Middle School Friday
- Pastor near Cascade Middle School lends a helping hand
- Police to begin internal review of shooting at Cascade Middle School
- Boys & Girls Club gets new computer lab thanks to IGT
- UPDATE: OSP identifies person shot & killed by police outside Cascade Middle School
- Middle school student hospitalized with meningococcal disease