EUGENE, Ore. -- The suspect in Saturday's fatal stabbing and officer-involved shooting has been identified as David Justo Duran, 32, recently of Eugene, Lane County District Attorney Patty Perlow said.
Duran's location has not been disclosed for security purposes.
The officers involved in the shooting during Duran's apprehension are identified as Sergeant Michael Ware and Officer Joshua West, both of the Eugene Police Department. Currently, Ware and West are on administrative leave.
At 4:29 a.m. Saturday morning, police received reports that a man broke into a home on 13th Avenue and Washington Street and stabbed Donald Rivers, 36, of Eugene in the neck and shoulder. Police responded to the scene and began looking for the suspect.
During a search two officers located the suspect in the backyard of 546 W. 13th Avenue. The suspect was armed with a knife and was ordered to drop it. Details from the call indicate a taser was used.
Shots were then fired and the suspect was hit. The suspect was then transported to a local hospital where he is currently being treated.
Rivers was also transported to a local hospital where he later died of his injuries sustained in the stabbing. No officers were injured.
The investigation is ongoing.
- Suspect identified in stabbing, officer-involved shooting in Eugene
- Second suspect identified in Eugene officer-involved shooting
- Suspect in Springfield officer-involved shooting identified
- Neighbors react to stabbing, officer-involved shooting in Eugene
- Eugene Police confirm officer-involved shooting
- Deputies identify suspect in Eugene shooting
- Stabbing suspect arrested in Eugene
- Suspect identified in Eugene kidnapping
- Police identify man killed in officer-involved shooting in Oakridge
- Authorities identify man killed in Eagle Point officer-involved shooting