Photo Gallery 3 Images
COQUILLE, Ore. -- A man accused of attacking another man with a claw hammer in Coquille has been arrested.
Witnesses told police Richard Dockery entered the bar shirtless, armed with a claw hammer and a small pry bar Wednesday afternoon. Dockery approached another man, Dan Navarro, and struck him in the head with the claw hammer, according to deputies.
They are working to find out why Dockery attacked Navarro. They said the two men didn't know each other.
Deputies said Dockery left the bar after three customers intervened and stopped the attack.
They say the hammer was found at the scene.
Deputies said Dockery lives five blocks north of the bar. They closed off several blocks as they searched near Dockery's home. After getting a warrant, deputies searched the home but Dockery was not there.
Dockery was arrested Thursday morning. They said officers were ordered to back down, leaving only Coquille police and the sheriff's office watching the home.
Dockery was seen entering the home around 5:45 a.m. Officials believe he hid in some bushes near his home until he thought law enforcement had left. That is when officers moved in and arrested him.
Coos County District Attorney Paul Frasier said he will charge Dockery with attempted murder and assault. Dockery is expected to appear in court Friday morning.
This isn't Dockery's first run in with law enforcement. In December 2017, authorities said he was arrested after stopping to buy alcohol while driving an injured 7-year-old boy to the hospital after leaving the scene of a crash. Deputies said he was driving drunk.
In 2015, Dockery was convicted of assault.
And in March 2011, Dockery pleaded guilty to assault in the third degree after shooting a man during an argument. Court records show, he was sentenced to 60 months in prison.
- Suspect in Coquille hammer attack caught
- Police searching for suspect after hammer attack in Coquille
- Prosecutor: Coquille hammer attack suspect tried to hurt three others
- Hammer attack suspect formally charged with attempted murder
- Coquille assault suspect also person of interest in murder investigation
- Crews battle house fire in Coquille
- Man faces murder charges in Coquille
- Structure fire in Coquille under investigation
- Coquille man dies in rollover crash
- Bend man accused of attacking sleeping roommate with hammer