SUTHERLIN, Ore.—Students in the Sutherlin School District had the opportunity to learn from local veterans Thursday in the 6th annual “Veterans Visitation Day.”
The aim of the event is to teach students about the military and allow them to hear stories directly from the veterans.
More than 30 veterans participated. Organizers said most of them are local to Douglas County, but some veterans came from as far as Eugene.
“It’s really awesome because we get to hear stories that we don’t traditionally hear in the classroom,” said Shyla Hunt, a student at Sutherlin High School. “It’s a really good experience because you get that one-on-one interaction with the veteran.”
The event kicked off with an assembly honoring the veterans and each branch of service.
Then, middle and high school students visited with the veteran’s one-on-one during their history classes.
- Sutherlin High School hosts 6th annual Veterans Visitation Day
- Sutherlin High School receives award
- Winter storm damages Sutherlin high school gymnasium
- Two-A-Days: Sutherlin Bulldogs
- Sutherlin High School is honored by Special Olympics Oregon
- Sutherlin holding community forum on school bond
- Sutherlin School District looks to upgrade facilities
- Fire destroys home in Sutherlin
- Crash kills one near Sutherlin
- Sutherlin School District shifting grade levels next school year