SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- An on-duty taxi driver was arrested for a DUII near the I-105 Westbound on-ramp from Mohawk Boulevard early Monday morning.
Police said around 2 a.m., the 61-year-old John Nate Jelley of Eugene was spotted on Mohawk Boulevard driving an Oregon Taxi with no headlights or taillights. Police say he had a customer in the car at the time he was pulled over.
Police said they could smell the odor of marijuana in the car. They also found a marijuana bud and concentrated marijuana oil in the car. Additionally, they said Jelley failed a sobriety test he voluntarily performed.
"Unlucky for the driver, the officer that stopped him was the municipal DUII enforcement officer of the year," Sgt. Brian Humphreys, with the Springfield Police Department, said. "He was just awarded that a couple of days ago. So he is very very good at his job. He conducted an investigation upon the signs of impairment he was observing, and ultimately he arrested the driver of the taxi cab for DUII."
Police said Jelley initially started his taxi fare in downtown Springfield, so he had already driven a few miles before he was pulled over.
"As he was asked to step out and take field sobriety tests, he did ask the officer if he could radio for another cab," Sgt. Humphreys said. "He was granted that request and did so. Another cab arrived a short time later to take that young lady home."
Jelley is facing charges of DUII and reckless driving.
KEZI 9 News reached out to the Oregon Taxi Company for comment, but they have not responded.
- Taxi driver arrested for DUII
- Redmond DUII driver crashes into canal
- UPDATE: Springfield Teacher Arrested for DUII
- Truck smashes into house, driver suspected of DUII
- Driver crashes into ARCO sign, police investigating as DUII
- Driver accused of hit-and-run and DUII in Eugene
- Driver cited for DUII after crash in Lane County
- Firefighter arrested for DUII after four-vehicle crash near Veneta
- DUII enforcement patrols lead to arrests in Lane County, Roseburg
- Man arrested for DUII after crash in Eugene