ROSEBURG, Ore. - A day before Kevin Adams is scheduled to be arraigned on murder charges, his attorney Katherine Berger, filed a pair of motions and additional documents in the case.
Wednesday, Berger asked for two more attorneys to be added to Adams' defense team. She also filed documents asking for Adams' medical and mental health records to be kept private.
Adams is scheduled to be arraigned Thursday afternoon for the murders of his foster mother Donya Adams, his foster sister Amory Adams, and biological sister Payshience Adams. The arraignment comes after a grand jury indicted Adams in January on eight counts of aggravated murder, three counts are tied to each of the victims. The fourth count was filed because Payshience Adams was younger than 14-years-old.
To understand where the additional four counts come from, the order of the murders becomes a factor. Court documents appear to show Adams killed Donya Adams first. Prosecutors filed two additional counts claiming he killed his sisters to cover up Donya's murder. The prosecution filed two more counts claiming Adams murdered his sisters to conceal the identity of Donya's murderer.
Adams was arrested in November 2017. According to court documents, he committed the murders when his foster father, Robert Adams, wasn't home. When Robert returned later that night, he told investigators Kevin was outside the home and told him he killed the family. Adams told law enforcement he shot his three family members multiple times with a handgun, according to the documents.
- Teen murder suspect's attorney wants mental health records sealed
- Boys & Girls Club brings mental health service to teens
- Teen murder suspect wants indictment thrown out
- Oregon murder suspect's attorney claims he's not fit for trial
- Nonprofit addresses growing youth mental health crisis
- Deputies: Springfield teen shot other teen while recording video
- Lane County to hire more mental health experts
- Local nonprofit holds fundraiser for maternal mental health
- Bend murder suspect pleads guilty
- UPDATE: Murder suspect's mugshot released