REEDSPORT, Ore. -- A man wanted by authorities in the state of Texas for child abuse was taken into custody in Reedsport Tuesday, the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office said.
Brian Edward Smith, 40, of Deadwood was taken to the Reedsport Municipal Jail before being transferred to the Douglas County Jail, where he is being held without bail and waiting for extradition to Texas.
A deputy assigned to the Reedsport Patrol Office saw a vehicle commit a minor traffic violation on Highway 101. The deputy stopped a green 1996 Toyota Camry, which had been headed north in the 2000 block of the highway.
The sheriff’s office said Smith, the driver, did not provide identification and initially gave the deputy a false name and date of birth. The deputy detained Smith and found a wallet that provided his identity.
A records check revealed Smith had a warrant for his arrest in Texas for indecency with a child.
- Texas fugitive wanted in child abuse case arrested in Reedsport
- Earthquake strikes off Reedsport coast
- Man wanted on several felony charges in Reedsport
- Reedsport man arrested in connection with two sexual assaults
- Fire breaks out east of Reedsport
- Sunken fishing boat abandoned in Reedsport
- Coast Guard responds to sunken fishing boat in Reedsport
- Junction City man arrested on fugitive charges
- Oregon man sentenced in abuse case of 5-month-old child
- Woman charged in Junction City child abuse case