ROSEBURG, Ore. -- The triple murder case involving suspect Kevin Adams is back in the spotlight. It appears to be one of the first murder cases affected by new state legislation regarding murder suspects.
Kevin Adams sat silent Friday morning in a Douglas County courtroom as his attorneys tried, again, to get his case moved to the Douglas County Juvenile Department.
“As of Jan. 1, by operation of law, this case is in juvenile court,” Adams’ attorney Katherine Berger told the judge.
Berger is talking about Senate Bill 1008, which passed this past legislative session. It affects certain murder cases, with consideration of the defendant’s age at the time of the crime.
“What I will tell you is that this very well may be the only case that needs to be transferred. If there are others, I’m not aware of them. So, this is the case that Douglas County will be planning to transfer,” said Douglas County Circuit Court Judge Kathleen Johnson.
Adams is accused of fatally shooting his foster mother, foster sister, and biological sister inside their Roseburg home in November 2017. He was 16 years old at the time. And even though he sits in jail currently as an adult, his fate appears to be heading into the hands of the juvenile court. Although, nothing is official yet.
In the meantime, the judge is allowing both sides to file confidential court filings, until whether Adams will be tried as a juvenile or an adult is decided.
Prosecutors walked away from KEZI outside the courtroom after the hearing once they saw our camera. The defense attorney also refused to comment. Adams’ next scheduled court appearance is in February.
- Triple murder suspect could be tried as a minor
- Teenage triple murder suspect appears in court
- Next court date set for teenage triple murder suspect
- Triple murder suspect found fit to stand trial
- Suspect in triple-shooting at Springfield apartment complex charged with Murder
- Teen faces 8 aggravated murder charges in Roseburg triple homicide
- Judge rules against dismissing triple murder case against Roseburg teen
- Bend murder suspect pleads guilty
- UPDATE: Murder suspect's mugshot released
- New developments in Roseburg triple homicide case