BREAKING NEWS Oregon State University student tests positive for Coronavirus Full Story
SEVERE WX : Winter Weather Advisory View Alerts

Two taken to hospital after fire in Springfield

Two people were taken to the hospital after a house fire in Springfield Wednesday morning.

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 9:24 AM
Updated: Mar 25, 2020 3:22 PM

SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- Two people were taken to the hospital after a house fire in Springfield Wednesday morning.

Eugene-Springfield Fire responded to the home on Partridge Way around 7 a.m.

Officials said three people were able to escape, with two of them transported to the hospital for smoke inhalation. 

George Wytoski, who lives across the street, said he saw the woman who lives in the home as she tried to rescue her husband who uses a wheelchair.

"Her face was all black. Her hair was singed and she was having a hard time breathing but did say she was trying to get her husband out, and the fire department was helping her," Wytoski said. 

The cause of the fire was a power strip that was concealed behind a couch and either failed or overheated    and lit the couch on fire. Firefighters estimate the damage at $80,000.

Article Comments

Eugene
Overcast
48° wxIcon
Hi: 56° Lo: 45°
Feels Like: 46°
Corvallis
Overcast
47° wxIcon
Hi: 56° Lo: 44°
Feels Like: 41°
Roseburg
Overcast
48° wxIcon
Hi: 58° Lo: 48°
Feels Like: 46°
North Bend
Overcast
46° wxIcon
Hi: 53° Lo: 46°
Feels Like: 42°
KEZI Radar
KEZI Temperatures
KEZI Planner

LATEST FORECAST

Community Events