EUGENE, Ore. -- Members of the Greek community are taking extra precautions walking near the University of Oregon campus, now that the number of robberies in Eugene has reached double digits.
KEZI spoke with Emma Sugar, who is a member of Delta Gamma. She said her sorority and a handful of other sororities are informing their members about ways to stay safe.
Sugar said they are telling members to travel in large groups, carry pepper spray and to pay attention to their surroundings while they are walking. She also said that each sorority is implementing their very own ride share program so members can get a ride to their destination instead of walking.
She said because of the rash of robberies that have been happening recently, she and many others are afraid to go out.
"I do not want to walk alone, let alone leave this house honestly,” Sugar said. “A lot of them are taking place right across the street or even next to our house. So it's a scary thought for sure."
On March 17th, at 12:50 a.m. police said a 21-year-old woman saw two men hiding behind the dumpsters just outside of Delta Gamma, with one man holding a handgun.
Police said the woman called a friend and then went into a nearby bar before one of her friend's reported it to police.
They said it is that type of delay in reporting crimes that have made it difficult to find the suspects. Police said the longer it takes to report the crime, the more difficult it is for them to find the suspect. If you are a victim or if you see something suspicious, you are asked to contact police immediately.
- UO sororities taking extra precautions walking near campus
- UO sororities implement new ride share program
- ‘#It’sOnDucks’: UO fraternities and sororities raises sexual assault awareness
- UO students concerned after shooting near campus
- Police: Take extra precautions with Cyber Monday, Christmas packages
- UPDATE: Police investigate bomb threat on UO campus
- UO unveils designs for new multi-million dollar Knight Campus
- Shot fired at apartment complex near UO campus
- UO student mugged near campus, says two men punched him
- Renovation of historic car dealership moves forward on UO campus