EUGENE, Ore. – Students at the University of Oregon are still in shock after one person was killed in a shooting just steps away from campus.
The victim, 21-year old Alex Gradin, was a student at Lane Community College.
Several UO students said they heard the gunshot and saw police cars rushing to the parking lot behind Taylor’s Bar and Grill.
"We walked outside and basically heard two loud pops and didn't really think too much of it. We kind of made a joke about it possibly being fireworks,” said Melanie Henshaw, a UO student. “Had we not decided to go to Dairy Queen after, we would have walked right back through the parking lot right after we heard the shot go off, so that was definitely a frightening realization for me.”
Students said an incident like this hasn’t happened in the area before.
Many said they will be more alert and cautious when going out in the area at night.
Police are still investigating the shooting and said they are now hoping to hear from any rideshare vehicles or taxis that might have any tips in the case.
The general manager of Taylor’s Bar and Grill said they are working with police.
- UO students concerned after shooting near campus
- Petition calls on UO to close campus amid coronavirus concerns
- UO student mugged near campus, says two men punched him
- UPDATE: Police investigate bomb threat on UO campus
- UO unveils designs for new multi-million dollar Knight Campus
- Shot fired at apartment complex near UO campus
- UO sororities taking extra precautions walking near campus
- Renovation of historic car dealership moves forward on UO campus
- Construction continues on new Knight science campus at UO
- UO students plant 732 flags to honor shooting victims