EUGENE, Ore. -- Staff members at the University of Oregon are closely monitoring updates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Oregon Health Authority surrounding the recent coronavirus outbreak.
According to a report from the university, there were more than 1,800 students from China at the university last school year.
While there has been no confirmed cases of the new strain, novel coronavirus, in Oregon, a spokesperson for the university said they are taking extra steps.
The said as standard practice, staff at the Univerity of Oregon Health Center ask basic questions when patients come in for treatment, including if the patient has traveled outside of the country.
When there is an increase in a communicable disease related to travel, as is the case with the coronavirus, staff will ask if the patient has traveled to a specific region during a certain period of time.
They are also asking students who feel ill to contact university officials before they come to the health center if they’ve recently traveled out of the country or believe they could have come in contact with someone who has the virus.
Senior Pengfei Qin is from Beijing. He said he is not worried about the virus reaching Oregon.
"I have a classmate who is from Wuhan, but he just got a fever last week, but he is all good," Qin said.
Jason Davis, a spokesperson for Lane County Public Health, said one person recently told their doctor they might have caught the virus after visiting China. Davis said the patent was isolated for a couple of hours until doctors were able to determine they did not have coronavirus. Davis said that experience has helped prepare them for the real thing if the virus ever comes to Oregon.
"We got some direction to work with our providers. We also got some firsthand knowledge on what a case might look like and some of the criteria that we would need to check off," Davis said.
- UO taking precautions against coronavirus
- UO sororities taking extra precautions walking near campus
- Assisted living facilities taking precautions to avoid spread of coronavirus
- Churches, LTD, others taking precautions due to coronavirus
- Meals on Wheels Roseburg taking precautions over coronavirus
- Owner taking extra precautions following disruption
- UO basketball teams speak on coronavirus impact
- UO football player arrested
- EPD: Take precautions when at an ATM, avoid scams
- Police: Take extra precautions with Cyber Monday, Christmas packages