OCEANSIDE, Ore. – Swarms of unusual pickle-like sea creatures are washing up on the Oregon Coast.
They’re called Pyrosomes, and biologists said the sightings are rare since they are usually found far off shore in the tropics.
Researchers at Oregon State University believe they could be turning up in Oregon thanks to warmer ocean waters off the coast.
But they are concerned that the creatures could harm the environment if they all die off and start to decompose. They said this could suck up a lot of the oxygen and create a dead zone for other marine life.
- Unusual sea creatures wash up on Oregon Coast
- Jelly-like creatures create 'blue tide' on Oregon coast
- Gray whale washes ashore on Oregon beach
- Earthquakes strike off Oregon Coast
- Small earthquake hits Oregon's coast
- Earthquake recorded off Oregon coast
- Watch for stranded sea turtles on the Oregon coast this winter
- Crab harvesting closure extended on Oregon coast
- Surfers brave the storm on Oregon coast
- Whale carcass rolls ashore along Oregon Coast