UPDATE: A Eugene man stabbed outside a Starbucks downtown remains in hospital Monday, receiving treatment for life-threatening injuries.
Gabriel Pemble, 40, of Eugene faces charges of first-degree assault, unlawful use of a weapon and carrying a concealed weapon.
Police said the victim is in his early 70s. It doesn't appear that the victim and the suspect knew each other, police added.
Two bystanders intervened during the incident, keeping the suspect from leaving the scene and taking the knife from him, police said. One of the bystanders was taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
EUGENE, Ore. -- A man was stabbed outside a Starbucks in downtown Eugene Saturday morning, police said.
The stabbing happened at about 7 a.m. Police said the victim was taken to the hospital with life-threatening injuries.
Police told KEZI 9 News Gabriel Hayes Pemble, 40, was inside the Starbucks on the corner of Willamette Street and Broadway having coffee when he got up, went outside and stabbed another man who was sitting at a table outside.
Witnesses told KEZI the attack was unprovoked. They said Pemble approached the man from behind then stabbed him in the throat with a knife.
The Starbucks closed while city crews worked to clean the blood from the sidewalk in front of the establishment.
Pemble was still on scene when police arrived and was taken into custody. He was booked into the Lane County Jail and charged with first-degree assault and unlawful use of a weapon as well as carrying a concealed weapon.
Police are investigating a possible motive and if the two men knew each other.
- Suspect arrested after man stabbed outside Starbucks in Eugene
- Stabbing suspect arrested in Eugene
- Police help man who tackled suspect in Starbucks stabbing
- Man arrested after stabbing in Eugene
- Eugene man hospitalized after stabbing
- 2 suspects arrested in connection to stabbings in Eugene
- Police search for stabbing suspects in Eugene
- Eugene police arrest assault suspect
- Man stabbed during fight in downtown Eugene
- Police investigate stabbing in Eugene