EUGENE, Ore. -- A woman is speaking out after her husband was found dead at Beltline and River Road this week.
Jeremy Constant was located on Tuesday in the area of the Beltline's westbound on-ramp and the River Road drainage ditch, police said.
Wife Renee Constant said they were married for nine years but had known each other since they were teenagers. She said Jeremy was always a great dad to their three kids, even during the hard times.
"He’s a good person with a good heart ... got on the unbeaten path,” Constant said.
She told KEZI 9 News that Jeremy struggled with drugs and mental illness for years. Despite trying to get him help, she said there were too many rules and regulations. She even asked police to keep him in jail, but that didn't work either, she said.
"Everybody just says, well it’s really not up to us, kind of passed the buck on to somebody else, and then he got released, and now here we are. He’s gone,” Constant said.
Eugene police say his death isn't suspicious and the medical examiner's office is still waiting for the toxicology report to come in.
Renee wants people to remember that her husband was a human being.
"He was something to someone, he was something to me, something to his oldest son Alex, his middle son Aiden and his daughter Ayla. He was something,” Constant said.
She said she's hoping his death is a reminder to county workers that every case should be taken seriously.
"I just want to see more help for the homeless, for the mental problems that we have in this community and for people to start taking responsibility around here," Constant said.
If you'd like to help with Jeremey's memorial fund and expenses, you can donate by clicking here.
- Wife speaks out after man found dead at Beltline and River Road
- Police identify man found dead near Beltline and River Road
- Body found near Beltline and River Road
- Special Report: Rebuilding Beltline
- Wanted man arrested after road rage incident on Beltline
- Beltline reopens after 6-vehicle crash
- Man denied bail after wife found dead in trailer fire
- Missing canoeist found dead in Willamette River
- Police identify man found dead along Willamette River in Eugene
- Missing man, daughter found dead in Umpqua River