SPRINGFIELD, Ore. – Willamalane Park and Recreation District is temporarily laying off 288 part-time and seasonal employees.
The move comes as closures and cancellations have expanded in an effort to slow the spread of novel coronavirus, officials said.
Those laid off will have access to temporary unemployment benefits.
“This is an incredibly difficult decision but one we have to make,” said Superintendent Michael Wargo. “This is a phenomenal group of people who keep our programs and facilities running, and they are people that we truly value. But, given the reality we’re facing, this is a necessary step we need to take to ensure the financial health of the district.”
Employees will be brought back as the district reopens, officials said.
- Willamalane lays off 288 amid coronavirus closures
- Jasper's lays off 172 employees amid coronavirus
- Willamalane lifeguards rescue elderly man from pool
- Willamalane suspends middle school dances after fights
- Willamalane hosts 2nd annual youth soccer tournament
- DeFazio holds town hall meetings at Willamalane, LCC
- Willamalane, ODF to team up for controlled burn
- LCC lays off hundreds due to coronavirus-related changes
- PeaceHealth hospitals restricting visitation amid coronavirus