Photo Gallery 1 Images
WINSTON, Ore. - Winston residents complained of noticing more trash being dumped at the boat ramp on Highway 42. They're frustrated with the way it's making the park look and they'd like to see something done about it.
Many residents believe the excess dumping is due to the county implementing a fee in order to use the dump. However, one resident, Clay Caldwell, says the issue is actually homeless camps.
Though he agreed that some of the garbage is residential, he said most of it is left behind from homeless people moving camps. He said this is a problem not just at the boat ramp, but at every park in the Winston-Dillard area.
”There has been a homeless camp problem on the banks of the rivers here in the Winston area, and the Winston Police Department has been pretty good about trying to move them along and to keep the problem down," said Caldwell.
He said he believes the Winston Public Works and Police Department are doing the best they can to keep the problem at bay, and they are doing a good job, but he understands their resources are limited. So he said it makes sense for the community to lend a helping hand.
”If things like this bother you, reach out to some people and find out how to get these things done and take care of it, because there are ways to fix them, but you just need to talk to the right people," Caldwell said.
He recommends if people are truly frustrated with the garbage that they call Public Works or the county. He said they can take it a step further and attend City Council meetings to address the problem as well. Lastly, they can take the matter into their own hands and pick up the garbage themselves. He believes that may open peoples eyes as to what the problem is and what steps can be taken to stay ahead of it.
- Winston is seeing increased trash dumping at the boat ramp
- Police investigate sexual assault at Alton Baker Park boat ramp
- Boat ramps closed after oil spill in McKenzie River
- Deerhorn bridge project could close boat ramp on McKenzie River
- City of Winston proposes a transient room tax increase
- Missing Winston man found dead
- Winston man dies in crash
- Winston Police searching for attempted kidnapping suspect
- Cougar spotted in Winston Thursday morning
- Winston man accused of abusing 8-month-old