ROSEBURG, Ore. – A woman accused of stealing an ambulance in Roseburg and slamming into the back of a police car said she wasn’t trying to hurt anyone.
Christy Woods, 37, appeared in court Monday afternoon to face a long list of charges, including assault, reckless driving and attempt to elude.
Deputies said she stole the ambulance Sunday afternoon while crews were helping an unconscious man on Jackson Street, before getting on the freeway from Harvard Avenue.
When an Oregon State Police trooper caught up with the ambulance on northbound I-5, the lights and sirens were activated, according to court documents.
The trooper eventually passed the ambulance, trying to provide a buffer between the vehicle and traffic.
After about five miles, deputies said Woods hit the trooper’s back bumper with the ambulance, going about 85 miles per hour and sending the car spinning through the median.
In court documents, the sergeant who was hit said he had whiplash and a cut finger. He said the windshield of his car was shattered and the trunk was pushed almost all the way into the backseat.
Deputies said they were able to deploy spike strips, and after 28 miles, Woods was pulled off the freeway and arrested at Rice Hill.
According to court documents, on her way to jail, Woods made the following unprompted statements: “I gave up when I should… I didn’t try to hurt anyone… I was a good [expletive] driver… Oh my God, I can’t believe I just did that… I’m going to prison… Why did they leave it unlocked? The police car was locked… I’m sorry… It’s my own fault. It’s not their fault.”
Woods did not enter a plea in court and was appointed an attorney. She is being held on $75,000 bail.
- Woman accused of stealing ambulance, ramming patrol car in Roseburg
- Ambulance stolen from Roseburg; woman taken into custody
- Roseburg man accused of assaulting elderly woman
- Woman accused of stealing $43,000 from grandmother
- Roseburg woman accused of misusing text-to-911 system
- DUII enforcement patrols lead to arrests in Lane County, Roseburg
- Man accused of ramming deputy's vehicle during pursuit
- Man accused of ramming church a no-show in court
- Lane County deputies fire at driver accused of stealing car
- Roseburg man arrested after stolen car recovered