LEBANON, Ore. – Two people were rescued and another jumped from a second-story apartment trying to escape a fire at their apartment complex early Sunday morning.
Lebanon Fire said the fire broke out at the apartment complex at 2051 South Second Street at around 2:00 a.m.
Firefighters said multiple people were hanging from second-story windows when they arrived.
With the help of the Lebanon Police Department, firefighters rescued two people from different second-story windows.
Darin Head, who lives in the apartment building, said he was woken up by his aunt telling him the complex is on fire.
Head said he found a way out of his front door, grabbed a hose and tried to put the fire out.
“I just tried my best and that little hose, was not doing anything,” Head said.
He said during this time, his girlfriend jumped from a second-story window to escape and said she fractured her ankle and spine.
Firefighters said two more people were rescued from the apartment, and one other person was taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
“I get it that she didn’t want to get burned and stuff like that, but I mean I’m just glad that nothing worse happened to her,” Head said. “We’re all alive and that’s what I’m concerned about.”
Julia Beam, who lives nearby to the building said she wants to see safety measures put in place so people can make it safely to the ground.
"I think that apartments should in any two-story buildings like that should be required to have safety ladders at every window for a quicker exit."
Head said during the fire, his cat escaped. He describes his cat, “Meow-Meow" as “big” and “orange.” He is asking community members to help with locating his cat.
- Woman jumps from window to escape apartment fire in Lebanon
- Lebanon family escapes house fire
- Fire guts Lebanon convenience store
- Fire destroys home in Lebanon
- Man arrested for breaking into two apartments in Lebanon
- Lebanon house fire sends one woman to the hospital
- Woman in Lebanon drives into church
- Police: Missing Lebanon woman has been found
- Lebanon firefighters rescue dog, extinguish house fire
- House fire under investigation in Lebanon